Hope you’re all doing well?
I’ve been wanting to do a post about highlighters for a while now and so I’ve finally got round to doing it.
Highlighter is probably my favourite product in my makeup bag, I like those real blinding one’s.
So today I want to share with you my thoughts on a few drugstore highlighters I own which I also know are still available to purchase and will link for you if you’re interested. I will be rating them on five main factors, packaging, practical, formula, glow and price.
They will be rated out of five for each factor, 0 being bad, 5 being incredible.
- Packaging~ How pretty and eye catching the packaging is.
- practical~ If its a multi pack, is it easy to swipe the shade you want.
- Formula~ Does it crumble and have a chalky effect.
- Glow~ How bright you shine, natural or blinding.
- Price~ is it worth how much you paid?
Starting off with my all time favourite highlighter, Makeup Revolutions Strobe highlighter in the shade ‘Flash‘, this is absolutely incredible giving a blinding highlight that could probably light your way through a dark tunnel, no exaggeration. For the price I pay I’m stunned, it’s worth every penny and I couldn’t recommend it more. It has a slight dual chrome blue effect and that is what I love, having an out the ordinary product.
- Packaging~ I’ll have to give this a 2.5, it’s very plain but does the job.
- Practical~ A 5 it is as its large enough to dunk my brush in fully.
- Formula~ This will be a 4, it does have a slight chalk effect and that also depends on the foundation I wear too.
- Glow~ defiantly a 5 without question.
- Price~ 5, its worth every penny.
The next highlight is MUA Undress your skin shimmer highlighter in the shade ‘Pearlescent sheen‘, this is a very close battle between this and the previous highlighter as they both have a dual blue chrome effect, its just I don’t tend to reach for this product as much. For an amazing £3 its defiantly a battle as either highlight does the job so if either product is out of stock I’d certainly pick up the other.
- Packaging~ 2.5 again very plain but does the job.
- Practical~ Again 5 it’s large enough to dunk my brush in fully.
- Formula~ This will be a 3 as it has much more of a chalk feel.
- Glow~ 2.5 it may look good in the pan but when it comes to applying the product it seems to disappear.
- Price~ 4.5 as it doesn’t give the brightest of glows.
Next is Makeup Revolutions ‘Rainbow Highlighter‘, this is incredible for each section of the rainbow actually gives a different shade of highlight. I had to buy this as it gives unicorn vibes and we all know what I’m like when it comes to unicorns and again its just a unique product. For only £4 you get alot of product and its super cute.
- Packaging~ I have to give this a 4 as I like how it has a holographic rim and you can see the rainbow with all its shine.
- Practical~ I’ll give this a 5 as I don’t plan of using each colour individually.
- Formula~ 4.5 it’s not too chalky and it apply’s beautifully.
- Glow~ 3.5 it does give a great glow but because of the colours, it causes it to fade slightly.
- Price~ 4 its worth it for the amount of product you get.
I of course had to purchase the I ❤ makeup ‘Unicorns Heart‘ I personally find this product a lot more chalker then the rainbow but it does have the perfect amount of pigmentation. You do however look like you get less product though you don’t, its just in a smaller container. I honestly don’t reach for this product as I know how chalky and how much fallout there is, if I knew this was how the product was gunna be I probably wouldn’t have purchased it for the £4.99 it was but because its a unicorn I have too.
- Packaging~ This is probably the highest ranked part for the product at a 4.5.
- Practical~ This has to be a 3 for you can’t really swirl the brush around.
- Formula~ 2.5 as it is quite chalky.
- Glow~ 3 for eventually the colour disappears.
- Price~ 3 I brought it more for the unicorn.
This was an amazing product to find, given its from primark. It does have amazing pigmentation and a bright shine, I just find its pretty chalky and has more of a glittery effect, it was £3 and although I couldn’t find the product online I know shops still have it available.
- Packaging~ for this I’ll give 3.5 it’s quite cute with simple bold lettering.
- Practical~ 5 it’s very easy to get product.
- Formula~ I’ll give 2, very chalky and easily rubs off.
- Glow~ 3 when the product doesn’t actually rub off.
- Price~ 1, for £3 I’ve gotten better.
‘Cosmic lights‘ This comes with two powders and four cream highlighters. I personally don’t like using cream highlighters so for this I’ll be commenting on the powders. They are really pretty though I do find they rub of easily, I love how there’s a dual blue chrome which it beautiful. The packaging is what stood out to me with the awesome design of space and flying saucers. The colour combination appeals to me as it stands out from the rest. For the price of £7.99 it makes each highlighter around £1.33.
- Packaging~ this is defiantly a 5, I just love it.
- Practical~ 2, not the easiest of picking a particular section.
- Formula~ they do give a nice effect though it does have a slight fall out so this is a 3.
- Glow~ 3 you can build up the glow.
- Price~ for the product I actually use this will have to be a 1, especially as this is a larger item to travel with, I don’t reach for it.
Skin Kiss in the shade ‘Ice Kiss‘ I brought this as it had so much hype on social media and packaging look high end compared to drugstore. For £5 you get more product then other highlighters, you also get a really big mirror. I don’t reach for this product because this has to be my most chalky highlighter of all.
- Packaging~ 5, I love the shape and how it has the mirror.
- Practical~ 1 it’s pretty big so it doesn’t fit in my makeup bag but it’s defiantly easy to pick up product.
- Formula~ 1, it’s extremely chalky.
- Glow~ 3 extremely subtle and quite natural.
- Price~ for the price to amount of product I would say it’s worth it but I’d much rather buy a few others for the price I pay so this will be a 3.
If you liked this style of post let me know for the future as this was certainly fun to write for the purpose of rediscovering highlighters I forgot I had 🙂
Be sure to follow me on my social media’s to keep you better up to date.